Tourist places around Goa

Dudhsagar Falls

Dudhsagar Falls is a four-tiered waterfall located on the Mandovi River in the border of the Indian state of Goa and Karnataka. It is 60 km from Panaji by road and is located on the Madgaon-Belgaum rail route about 46 km east of Madgaon and 80 km south of Belgaum. Dudhsagar Falls is amongst India’s tallest waterfalls with a height of 310 m (1017 feet) and an average width of 30 metres (100 feet).

The falls is located in the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park among the Western Ghats. The waterfall forms the border between Karnataka and Goa states. The area is surrounded by a deciduous forests with a rich biodiversity. The falls are not particularly spectacular during the dry season but during the monsoon season however, the falls are fed by rains and form a huge force of water.



Se Cathedral

The Sé Catedral de Santa Catarina, known as Se Cathedral, is the cathedral of the Latin Rite Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Daman and the seat of the Patriarch of the East Indies. It is located in Old Goa, India.


Basilica of Bom Jesus

The Basilica of Bom Jesus or Borea Jezuchi Bajilika is located in Goa, India, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier. The church is located in Old Goa, which was the capital of Goa in the early days of Portuguese rules.

‘Bom Jesus’ (literally, ‘Good (or Holy) Jesus’) is the name used for the Ecce Homo in the countries of Portuguese colonization. The Jesuit church is India’s first minor basilica, and is considered to be one of the best examples of baroque architecture in India.


Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is an estuarine mangrove habitat, which is declared as a bird sanctuary, and located on western tip of the Island of Chorão along the Mandovi River, Goa, in India. The sanctuary is named after Salim Ali, the eminent Indian ornithologist.

The sanctuary and island are accessed by a ferry service running between Ribander and Chorão. The sanctuary has a paved walk that runs between mangroves of Rhizophora mucronata, Avicennia officinalis and other species.


Fort Aguada

Fort Aguada and its lighthouse is a well-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese fort standing in Goa, India, on Sinquerim Beach, overlooking the Arabian Sea. The fort was constructed in 1612 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas. It was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This Old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It was initially tasked with defense of shipping and the nearby Bardez sub district.


Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary

Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary is located in northeastern Goa, India in Ponda taluka. The total area of the park is 8 km2. It is a popular destination for both tourists and schoolchildren. A wide variety of animal life can be encountered, including: sambar deer, Indian bison, Malabar giant squirrel, Indian peafowl and many species of snakes.

Bondla provides sanctuary to leopards who have been injured in human-wildlife conflict, as well as “dancing” bears and cobras who, along with their trainers, need a new life after this treatment of endangered wildlife.Bondla zoo is known for its successful breeding of gaur. As it is the only zoo in Goa, many visit the zoo. The zoo provides an excellent environment to breed an do research on animals.


Chapora Beach

Chapora Beach is a coastal village at Chapora River estuary lying alongside a beach stretch in North Goa that is around 10 km. from Mapusa, a City in Northern Goa. It is close to Chapora Fort, an old Portuguese fort. Chapora is also close to a trawler-fishing jetty. Chapora is home to many cheapest travel accommodation houses found in entire Northern Goa. There is a famous Ganesh fruit juice center in Chapora selling organic juices and gathering people from around.


Goa Chitra Museum

The Goa Chitra is a museum based in the former Portuguese colony of Goa. It has a large collection—over 4000 artefacts—focusing on Goa’s traditional agrarian technology and lifestyle. Goa Chitra is based in the coastal Goan village of Benaulim. It was founded and is run (2010) by the artist-curator-restorer Victor-Hugo Gomes. Time Out Mumbai has described the museum as “one of Goa’s most charming attractions” and add that “this little rural complex houses thousands of traditional implements, vessels and tools that evolved over centuries in the agrarian heartland of Goa in the service of farming and other traditional trades”.


Shanta Durga Temple

Situated 33 kms from Panajim, Shree Shantadurga temple has an impressive idol of Goddess Shree Durga who mediated between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva and stopped the fiercefull war going on between the two. She is flanked by Vishnu and Shiva on both the sides.

The temples of Shree Shantadurga and Shree Mangesh, two of the most revered patron deities of the Hindu Goud Saraswat Brahmin community are located in Kavlem and Mangeshi respectively in the Ponda district of North Goa.This avatar of Shree Jagdamba devi which had come to make peace [Shanti] between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva, came to be known as  Shree Shantadurga devi.


Cabo de Rama

Portuguese claimed the Cabo de Rama Fort after defeating the Raja (King) of Soonda and renovated it subsequently. In the past, the fort has switched hands between Hindu, Muslim monarchs and the Portuguese and witnessed many battles in history. The present rickety structure with turrets and rusty cannons is a leftover of the Portuguese. The Portuguese equipped it with 21 guns and military barracks, as well as commandant quarters and a chapel. It was abandoned when the Portuguese left this place. Later, this fort housed a government prison till 1955 and was abandoned again. Today, this fort is in ruins, but is a popular tourist attraction of Goa.


Chapora Fort

Chapora Fort, located in Bardez, Goa, rises high above the Chapora River. Before the Portuguese arrived in Goa in 1510, this location was the site of another fort. The fort changed hands several times after Portuguese acquired Bardez. Trying to end the Portuguese rule in Goa, Prince Akbar joined his father’s enemies, the Marathas in 1683 and made this place his base camp. It became the northern outpost of the Old Conquests. After the Portuguese recovered from an encounter with the Marathas, they strengthened their northern defences and provided shelter to the people there.


Harmal Beach

Laid-back public beach for sunbathing & swimming, with convenient access to nearby restaurants.


Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary

Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary is located in South Eastern Goa, India. It constitutes one of the vital corridors of the Western Ghats and covers an area of 211.05 km2. Netravali or Neturli is an important tributary of River Zuari, which originates in the sanctuary. Forests mostly consist of moist deciduous vegetation interspersed with evergreen and semi-evergreen habitat. It is adjacent to Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve, Karnataka on the eastern side, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary, Goa on the southern side and Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park on the northern side which in turn forms a contiguous protected area along with Madei Wildlife Sanctuary, Goa and Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary, Karnataka.


Homestays, Hotes & Resorts in Goa



Top